Chapter One: The Gaonic Period
1. Between Two Major Periods of Creativity
2. Heretics and Dissidents
3. Esoteric Sources of the Karaite Sectarians
4. Agobard's Document
5. The Beginnings of Rationalistic Philosophy
Chapter Two: Messianism in the Early Middle Ages
1. Main Characteristics of Messianic Phenomena
2. The Integration of Islam into Jewish Apocalyptics
3. Ishmael, Abraham and the Messiah in Pirkei de-Rabbi Eliezer
4. Abu Issa and Yudgan
5. "The Mourners of Zion"
6. "Messianic Movements in the Period of the Crusades"
Chapter Three: Saadia Gaon's Cosmogony and the Sefer Yezira
1. Saadia's Commentary and the Sefer Yezira in the Middle Ages
2. The Patriarch Abraham and the Sefer Yezira
3. Saadia's Cosmogony and Cosmology
4. "Divine Utterance Breaking Through the Air"
5. God's Will, Divine Immanence and Revelation
Chapter Four: Saadia's Theory of Revelation and the Glory and the Polemics with the Karaite Solomon ben Yeruhim
1. The Problem of Anthropomorphic Descriptions of God
2. The Glory and Revelation
3. Solomon's Wars of God and his Polemics Against the Talmud
4. The Satirical Exposition of the Shiur Komah
5. "The Prince of the Torah"
6. Saadia's Response: the Supreme Glory
Chapter Five: Eshatology and Messianism in Saadia's Theology
1. Departures from Traditional Eschatology in the Middle Ages
2. Saadia's Conception of the Resurrection
3. Messianic Redemption and Apocalyptic Vision
4. The Eternal "Next World"
Chapter Six: Criticism and Rebellion in the Alphabet of Ben Sira
1. The Structure and Literary Characteristics of the Alphabet
2. Lilith and the "Big Demon"
3. The Earth, the Creation of Man and the Demons
4. Death and the Illusion of Redemption
5. Those who have not "Tasted Death"
6. Criticism of Midrashic Tradition
Chapter Seven: Rav Hai Gaon's Responsa Concerning Esotericism and Mysticism
1. The Characteristics of the Documents
2. Legitimacy of Esoteric texts: The Shiur Komah
3. "The Four who Entered the Pardes" and the Hekhalot Treatises
4. The Response Concerning Magic
5. The Powers of Holy Names
6. Dream Questions, Angelic Revelations and Miracles
7. The Powers of Demons and the Phenomenon of Prophecy
Appendix: The Gaonic Explanations of the Narrative of Saul and Samuel
Chapter Eight: Rabbi Shabbatai Donolo, Macrocosm and Microcosm and the Commentary on Sefer Yezira
1. Donolo the Physician and the book Hakhmoni
2. Man as Microcosm
3. The Commentary on Sefer Yezira
4. The Commentary on the Letters of the Alphabet
5. The Heavenly Bodies
6. The Teli: Celestial Dragon
Chapter Nine: Esoteric Lore and Magic in the Ahimaaz Scroll
1. The Narratives of Ahimaaz of Oria
2. The Spiritual World of the "Early Fathers"
3. Rabbi Aharon of Babylonia
4. Astronomy, Witches and Demons
5. Resurrecting the Dead, Miraculous Travelling
6. "The Book of Merkavah"
Chapter Ten: Treatises of Magic in the Early Middle Ages
1. Sefer ha-Malbush
2. Sefer ha-Yashar
3. The Prayer of Rav Hamnuna Sava
Chapter Eleven: Esotericism in Solomon Ibn Gabirol's Keter Malkhut
1. Gabirol and Jewish Esoteric Tradition
2. Gabirol's Use of Sefer Yezira
3. Keter Malkhut: Poetry, Praise and Esoteric Lore
4. "The Wise Soul"
Chapter Twelve: Spirituality and Mysticism in Bahya Ibn Pakuda's Duties of the Heart
1. The Duties of the Heart: Philosophy, Ethics, Mysticism
2. The Duties of the Heart as Commandments
3. The Bible, the Halakhah and Tradition
4. Avoiding the Pleasures of the World
5. Mystical Contemplation?
6. The Peak of Religious Life: the Love of God
Chapter Thirteen: Revelation, Cosmogony, Miracles and Magic in the Kuzri of Judah ha-Levi
1. Divine Revelation and Prophecy
2. Cosmogony: ha-Levi's Commentary on Sefer Yezira
3. The Unity of Opposites
4. The Holy Name, Emanation and Angels
5. Miracles in ha-Levi's World-View
7. Theurgy and Esotericism in ha-Levi's Work
Chapter Fourteen: Rabbi Judah ben Bezalay of Barcelona: Commentary on Sefer Yezira
1. The Cultural and Ideological Context
2. The Attitude Towards Traditional Cosmogony
3. Revelation and Rejection of Anthropomorphism
4. The Doctrine of the Glory
5. The Aims of the Commentary
6. The Role of Esotericism, Abraham and the Transmission of Sefer Yezira
7. "A Triple Calf"
Chapter Fifteen: Cosmogony and Eschatology on the Works of Abraham bar Hiyya
1. Bar Hiyya's Megilat ha-Megale
2. The Astrological Indications of the Date of the Redemption
3. The Messianic Apocalypse
4. The Secret of the Creation in Hegyon ha-Nefesh
Chapter Sixteen: Esotericism in Abraham Ibn Ezra's Commentary on the Bible
1. A Layer of Secrets in Ibn Ezra's Writings
2. The Sequence of Worlds and the Realm of the Chariot
3. Is there a Secret in the Work of Genesis?
4. The Concept of Revelation in Yesod Mora